It's actually undergone a makeover of sorts; now it's simply known as Masterpiece, and its yearly schedule is divided into three parts. Masterpiece Classic, which begins tonight and runs through May, features classic novels adapted for the small screen. (You might remember last year when they did the complete works of Jane Austen ... one reviewer described it as "Shark Week for English majors.") Masterpiece Mystery (new name for the old Mystery! spinoff) features mystery novels and runs throughout the summer, and Masterpiece Contemporary, with - you guessed it - contemporary novels, rounds out the year. I watch all of them, but my favorites are Classic and Mystery.
This year's Classic lineup should be good. Not as good as the Austen marathon, in my opinion, but still good. (And for Austen fans, they're throwing in an encore presentation of Sense & Sensibility.) Tess of the D'Urbervilles begins tonight and runs through next week; after that, we get Wuthering Heights (Jan. 18-25), Sense & Sensibility (Feb. 1-8), and four adapted stories from Charles Dickens - Oliver Twist, Little Dorrit, David Copperfield, and Old Curiousity Shop (through May 3). A full schedule can be found here.
Masterpiece airs on WTCI (PBS, channel 45) on Sundays at 9 p.m.
Enjoy ... if you're so inclined. As for me, I'm off to pop popcorn and wrestle the remote away from Bobby. Even Maggie cooperated -- she went to bed early tonight.

2 comments:
You are so not the only dork. I stayed up late watching it becuase I watched my other shows while it was on the first time! :) I'm glad to have it up and running again!
hmm, I have never watched but I L-O-V-E Charles Dickens. I guess I know what I may be doing for my birthday. ;)
Post a Comment