- "When we eat fish, does the fish die?" me: "Yes, the fish dies. That's why Daddy doesn't like to eat fish." Maggie: "Why doesn't he like to eat them?" me: "Because it makes him sad that they have to die. How do you feel about eating fish?" Maggie: "I like to eat fish." - brief pause- "But I'm sorry it makes Daddy sad."
- "Is that why you let me do that yesternight?"
- We were driving to the Village Market, and on the way we passed the neighborhood where Maggie's favorite babysitter lives. She'd been asking where Casey lives, so on our way to the store, I told her we were about to pass his neighborhood. "Can we go to his house?" she asked. "Well, I don't know which one is his house," I answered. Maggie's reply: "We could just go knock on the doors." -long pause- "Or we could just peek in the windows until we find him."
- "Mommy, can I fascinate it?" (evidently, this is her word for scrolling through the pictures on the digital camera)
- "I picked here, and I picked first, and I don't want to go any place else." Maggie's response to my suggestion that she play with her play-doh at a table instead of the foyer floor.
- "I'm writing my name so that Johnson Cooper can come to my house." I have no idea who Johnson Cooper is.
- I just asked her if she needed to go potty, and she replied, "Not even a bit!!"
She likes to say the blessing at mealtimes. At first, her version of the blessing was simple: "Dear God, thank you for this food, amen." Then she started preschool, where they pray the "God is great, God is good" prayer before snacktime. So that's how Maggie started saying it at home. Then she got silly and said a kitty blessing for a while -- all meow's, but with the perfect inflection of "God is great, God is good." Now her version of the blessing has morphed again. She has a prayer bunny, a stuffed animal that says the "Now I lay me down to sleep" prayer when his tummy is pressed. Maggie has taken that prayer, changed up the words a bit, combined it with giving thanks, and proceeds to say the blessing like this now:
Down lambie go to sleep
Thank you for the food
I go to sleep with the morning light,
Amen. Amen. Amen. A-momma. Amen.
On a slightly similar note, she's started bursting out with really loud "Thank you's" out of the blue ... and when I ask her who she's thanking, she answers "Jesus." She's thanked Him for the air conditioning in our house, she's thanked Him for the rain (we haven't had any lately ... not sure where she got this one), and she's thanked Him for our car. So funny!

No comments:
Post a Comment