Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A challenge

I have two kitchen drawers that are so filled with junk that they often won't close; it's a delicate dance to get everything in them "just so," so that the drawers will close. And today I got tired of dealing with them. I emptied both drawers, wiped out the bottoms, and put things back in a more organized fashion. Along the way, I discovered a few ... shall we say ... redundancies in my stock of kitchen utensils. It got so amusing that I started keeping a list of one drawer's contents.
  • 1 electric can opener
  • 1 pasta spoon
  • 1 ladle
  • 2 pizza cutters
  • 2 corkscrews
  • 1 bottle opener
  • 6 spatulas
  • 3 slotted spoons
  • 1 spatula/slotted spoon hybrid
  • 1 cake-tester (that's where it was!!)
  • 3 pairs of tongs
  • 1 broken pair of tongs
  • 1 decorative wine cork
  • 2 big meat forks (we haven't eaten meat in 7 years)
  • 1 meat mallet (did I mention we haven't eaten meat in 7 years?)
  • 1 cheese cutter

Seriously, who needs six spatulas or three slotted spoons?!?

So what's in your kitchen drawers? I challenge you to go through one kitchen drawer -- pick your messiest -- and then post a comment here (or in an extended post on your own blog) sharing some of the funniest things you found. (This is a fun exercise for your bathroom cabinets too. Once I discovered about 15 empty medicine bottles under Bobby's side of the sink.)

Happy cleaning!!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

You mean to tell me you were cleaning out drawers and not watching the Olympics?!?!?! LOL!
You don't even want to know what's in our catch-all drawer, i.e. junk drawer! That one is a MESS!
BTW, did you see the Chinese women in syncronized diving this evening? The Chinese just rock in this event!

Unknown said...

Lee Anne, This is my first time to visit your blog. I read the Antiques Road Show Blog but was afraid you wouldn't go back that far to see it. I would have taken that framed Calla Lily that your mother has. It is old. How nice that your Grandfather's medals were so special. I cannot get over the sword in the sandal!!

...about the drawers. I took stuff home from Granny's and my mother's drawers. I was able to furnish the mountain cabin and the travel trailer with utesils and I still have too many!!

I love the Road Show, too!! Have those episodes aired?

Aunt Cherrie

Candy said...

Ha! I was just thinking last night that I need to go through my odds and ends utensil drawer. I couldn't get it shut, either. I did go through the "junk" drawer the other day and it was a riot. Empty tape rolls, broken pencils, 497 pens (20 of which worked) batteries of all shapes and sizes...I took an old utensil sorter and sorted everything out. It's now nice and oraganized!