Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Not what I had in mind ...

After dinner tonight, Bobby graciously offered (well, he didn't offer, but he was pleasantly agreeable when I asked) to clean up from dinner so that I could take a bath and enjoy some blissful time alone. I cranked up the hot water, settled down with a big mug of ice water, and tried to finish the July issue of Southern Living.

I think I got about 16 minutes alone.

Before too long, I heard the creaking of the stairs, then the opening of the bathroom door. "Are you having a good bath, Mommy?" Maggie asked. I told her I was, while wondering how long this interruption was going to last. I should have known that my solitude was over. Yet, her barrage of questions and commentary was so sweet and honest, I couldn't help but smile.

"Can I stick my hand in the water?"
"Why does a hot bath make you feel better?"
"Can I get in there with you?"
"Why are you putting more water in the tub? Ow, that's hot."
"I'll stir it up for you, Mommy."
"Do you need some friends in there with you? Here's my ducky ... I really can see that you are happier with my friends."
"Are you thirsty? Do you want some water?"
"Here's my shark from the aquarium. Can I squirt you?"
"I cleaned up the whole floor downstairs. Now it's clean."
"Where are the bubbles?"
"Here's the little man who goes diving. I know you'll have fun with him."
"Can I pour your drink in the bathtub?"
"Are you sure you don't want me to get in with you?"
"Why are you laughing?"

This continued until 8 p.m. I know this because Bobby called up to inform us that Wipeout was starting. We love Wipeout -- it's clean (well, at times there's some iffy humor that flies straight over Maggie's head), the commentary is funny, the obstacles amusing, and the contestants are downright hilarious. It's become a show that we enjoy watching together, so we let Maggie stay up an extra hour on Tuesdays to watch.

I asked Maggie if she wanted to go downstairs and watch Wipeout with Daddy or stay with me until I got out of the tub. I was sure she'd choose TV over simply sitting in the bathroom with Mommy; after all, earlier today she was pronouncing nearly everything "boring." But you guessed it ... her response was priceless: "No, I'll stay here with you until you're finished. You like that, don't you?"

I sure do.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I laughed out loud at "Can I squirt you?" So funny. I bet your hubby was dead meat for letting her up there!

Alicia said...

Oh, that would so be Rebekah! I bet you'll be locking the bathroom door the next time you take a bath.

Candy said...

I can never get a good bath in, either! Oh well. It's the moments like that that also make parenting such a joy (and an irritation sometimes)

We like WipeOut, too. Something about people making fools of themselves and totally wiping out makes me almost pee myself every time! LOL