Tuesday, April 1, 2008

In defense of speed limits

I'll wait while those of you who know me well pick yourselves up off the floor ...

Yes, I'm writing in defense of speed limits. I've never liked them and always pushed them, even disobeyed them. My mother breathes an audible sigh of relief whenever she hears that Bobby is driving on a particular trip and, conversely, is more worried when she learns I'm driving. Of course I don't see it at all -- I think I'm a fine driver, thank you very much, and don't understand all the hullaballo.

So in preparation for this past weekend's trip to Virginia, my dad sent me the following little tidbit, via email: "... Which leads me to make a pitch for you and Mom to drive as slow as you safely can. Probably never more than 5 miles over the limit and not over 65 even if the limit is greater (I can dream, can't I). You would be surprised at the difference in gas mileage you get running a steady 45 to 55 instead of 65 to 75. SO - Advice from DAD for this upcoming trip - Slow and steady wins the race - and the mpg game (not to mention the savings on your Mother's nerves)."

With gas prices higher here than they were even after Katrina, I took my dad's advice and slowed down. Whenever possible, I set the cruise control to 3-4 miles above the speed limit, and no more. (And in VA, the speed limit never got above 65, so this was a particularly challenging exercise in self control.) When not "cruising," I made extra effort at staying within this self-imposed limit.

I found two great benefits to this strategy:
1) In my car which normally averages 19-24 mpg, I got -- get ready for this -- THIRTY-ONE miles per gallon!! I did the math three times to make sure my numbers-challenged brain hadn't figured incorrectly. My little SUV got more than 30 mpg! I think I'm still in a mild state of disbelief.
2) Whenever I passed a cop, which in Virginia was quite frequent, I didn't have to slam on the brakes, glance at my speed, experience momentary heart failure, and break into fervent prayer. It was strange actually -- I actually had this same reaction the first couple of times I passed a police car. I'm so used to driving fast, and so conditioned to having the above reaction, that it's become second nature, and I actually panicked for a split second, only to realize that I didn't need to worry -- I was going the speed limit!

Well, close enough.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh, my goodness, LeeAnne! I can totally relate with #2! LOL!

Candy said...

Hehehe, that's my driving too! I had heard about the lower speeds meaning better mpg's, but WOW. I might have to take that into consideration...maybe.