Monday, March 10, 2008

When good princesses go bad

Maggie's good friend Meghan came over to play this afternoon. The girls usually play well together, and today was pretty decent, but there were also some spats that were humorous in the way that only 3-year-olds arguing can be. The best was the fight over the purple dress-up shoes. As you can see from the photos below, Maggie chose a purple princess dress, while Meghan carefully selected blue. You may also notice that each is adorned head to ... well, not quite toe ... in the color of her choice. The necklaces, the bracelets, the rings, even the purses all matched the dresses.





Enter the purple shoes in question. The two little princesses argued over them for a good 10 minutes, and it was impressive to see the logic each used in her justification that SHE should get to wear the purple shoes. "But Mommy, MY dress is purple. I need the purple shoes because they match," was Maggie's main rationale, while Meghan was quick to respond with, "But I don't have any like these at home." What's a mom to do? I ended up forfeiting my Nobel Peace Prize in the interest of teaching Maggie a lesson about putting others first and, much to my daughter's dismay, we let Meghan wear the shoes.

They played in their princess dresses all afternoon, even going outside to play on the swingset and seesaw. By the end of the day, in addition to the matching fashion accessories, the fine purple and blue dresses were also decorated with spots of mud and grass stain -- a perfect contrast, no?

3 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds just about perfect to me.

And it's a good setup for preparation for the next playdate, which at our house used to always involve a reminder of, "If there's anything you do not want to share, now is the time to put it away. Once guests arrive, they get first pick." Oh, the joys of having a strong-willed and there-are-rules-for-everything little girl...

Candy said...

LOL, in our house the rule is "if you fight over it, NO ONE gets it" So my girls are quick to make compromises so they still can have a turn.

And I'm sure the mud, dirt and grass stains from playing outside compliment the dresses perfectly. I'm so jealous, but we are in the 30s today! WOOHOO!

LeeAnne said...

Oh yeah, Kate, I'll totally be using that line the next time Maggie has a friend over.

Candy, I know you love it up there, but seriously, I don't know how you stand the cold!!