Monday, March 3, 2008

Funny Maggie-isms

Anyone who knows us knows that Maggie is pretty advanced verbally. She said her first real word at around nine months old, and she hasn't stopped talking since. Rarely does a day go by that we're not cracking up at something she's said. Here's a sample list ("new" words are italicized):

  • "Don't reject me."
  • Democrack
  • "But Mommy ... you can't tell me not to take off my socks and shoes, otherwise my feet will be all hot and sweaty!"
  • "I think that mommy turtle is determined to climb over the baby."
  • "I want to see more construction equipment."
  • Speaking of …
  • hopefully
  • horrible
  • "That's not a good option!"
  • solution
  • sensitive
  • terrible
  • "I wish I had a dog named Gabby. And lots of kitties. And a stuffed animal Pop." [editorial note: we do have lots of kitties, but she was referring to my parents' house. She calls my dad Pop.]

I've also been trying to teach her not to be so demanding. So when she comes up to me and declares, "I want gum!" I encourage her to rephrase it and say, "May I have some gum please?" She's taken that phrase and twisted it to include things she wants me to do. For example, "May you play with me please?" or "May you push me on the swing?" So funny!

Of course I never can think of the best ones when I'm put on the spot ... like now, when I'm typing. There are more, but this gives you an idea of the funny things we hear daily.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Too cute!

And I hear you on the "too demanding" thing - that was our Miss Emily around her third or fourth Christmas. Poor kid, constantly bombarded by commercials and media and classmates with new toys. So we worked hard on, "I wish I had that," instead of, "Mommy, will you get me that?" or "I want that."

Anything we can do to help her live loner...