Friday, July 3, 2009

Wit and Wisdom, end of June

Yeah, I know ... I haven't been nearly as good about keeping track of Maggie's silly sayings (or really about blogging in general lately). It's hard -- unless I write down what she says or dash to the computer immediately, I usually can't remember it. Here are some of the things I've managed to remember. New words are in italics.

  • She asked for a cookie, and I told her no, reasoning that the day's bad behavior might have been linked to too many sweets. She answered, "But Mommy, junk food makes you crazy; it doesn't make you grumpy!"

  • The same grumpy day, I questioned something she told me. "Are you telling me the truth, or are you just trying to manipulate me?" I asked her. She thought for a minute and then answered, "Um, Mommy ... I don't know what that means, so how could I do it?"

  • Last Sunday Bobby took her out for ice cream while I was meeting with my book club. She told him, "I'm very smart. I know a million stuff. - long pause - You only know 10."
  • While imploring Bobby to dance with her one night, she informed us, "You have to say yes because I have to dance right now, and if I don't dance, I won't win the prize at my wedding."

  • "I have to do some alternate work."

  • "This Sprite is spicy!! I feel the spicy on my lips!"

On Tuesday night as we snuggled at bedtime, Maggie asked if I loved her more than anyone else -- a silly question since I'm always telling her this. When I answered yes, she began naming off friends and asking if I loved her more than Meghan, Rebekah, Heidi, Cooper, etc. After going through her long list of friends, she asked, "Do you love me more than God?" And there I froze momentarily since one of the pieces of scripture I struggle with is the lesson that nothing is supposed to come before God -- not family, not children ... nothing. I knew this was over her head and it would hurt her feelings if I answered no, so I tried dodging the question by saying, "I love you more than any person on this planet." She didn't buy it one bit. She actually tried to expand on my statement ... I was amazed at the way she tried to trick me into giving her a "yes" or "no" answer: "So you love me more than anyone?" Yes. "You love me even more than that guy?" What guy? "That guy who lives above us ... in heaven." Little stinker! What's worse ... she then offered the following suggestion: "Just whisper it in my ear so that God won't hear you say you love me more." While this led to a discussion on God's omnipotence and got her sidetracked from the love issue, I just could not believe the way she quizzed me. She might have a future as a lawyer.

No comments: