Friday, July 17, 2009

Wit and Wisdom, week of July 17

Here's this week's wit and wisdom, a collection of new or funny things Maggie has said. New words are in italics.
  • At dinner Monday night, she told Bobby, "Perhaps I need some dessert," to which he promptly replied, "Perhaps you should take another bite first." Apparently she didn't appreciate him using the same word, because she responded sharply, "Perhaps you copied me."
  • I was chagrined to find a dead lizard and dead mole in our back yard over the weekend, but Maggie was fascinated. On Tuesday evening, she called to Bobby, "Daddy, come over here and see the decaying lizard and the decaying mole!"
  • On Wednesday, she finished her first 100-piece puzzle with no assistance whatsoever (in about 20 minutes!!) and while she was working, she kept muttering, "I'm rockin' this puzzle!"
  • A couple of weeks ago during the Wimbledon men's final, she made the following observation about Roger Federer: "I want him to win because he's pretty."
  • While working a puzzle, Maggie was repeatedly disturbed by a very interested kitty. At one point she said matter-of-factly, "Sandy, if you want to be a princess, you're going to have to learn your manners."
  • We were using the restroom at Fresh 2 Order, and someone knocked on the door. Not understanding why they'd knocked, Maggie said to me, "That wasn't very considerate of them to knock on the door. It wasn't civilized either."
  • Lately she tends to fixate on little things and then wants to sleep with them -- last week it was the new American Girl catalog, this week it was the Harry Potter DVD case. On Thursday night, she was still awake when she heard Bobby getting ready for bed in our bathroom. "Daddy?" she called out. "Can me and Harry and Ron and Hermione come in there with you?"

She and Bobby have enjoyed chasing each other -- she on her old tricycle and he on her plasma car. They love racing, and Bobby taught her how to bump him in just the right spot (the rear left wheel) to cause his car to spin out. While they were racing around on Sunday afternoon, I overheard her make the following comments:

  • "I'm focusing on Daddy!"
  • "I'm doing the things little girls do when they want to catch their daddies!"
  • "Daddy, you're stressing me out."
  • "I'm just a zoomer!"
  • "Here comes the girl with the missing running feet!"

No comments: