Thursday, July 23, 2009

How to set a table, by Maggie

Tonight I hosted a Chez Ami trunk show, and Maggie was very interested as I got out my serving pieces and prepared for the party (I guess I should entertain more, huh?). Before I knew it, she was "helping" me set the table.

At first, she merely unstacked the plates and placed them at each setting, then topped each with a coaster, a wine glass or water goblet, and a napkin.



After she'd placed other dishes at the corners, I thought she was finished, so I took this picture to document her helpfulness:



But wait! There's more!



Reveling in her masterpiece:

The finished product ...


To say she was disappointed when I started returning some of the items to their homes doesn't begin to cover it. To protect her self-esteem, I assured her that while I thought her table-setting was beyond gorgeous, I was a little worried that my friends wouldn't be careful and might break some of our nicer pieces, so I was putting them away to keep them safe. Now that my uncareful friends have left, we're planning our very own tea party for tomorrow afternoon - and Maggie is in charge of setting the table.

(Please excuse my work-in-progress dining room. We pulled wallpaper down and planned to repaint and add wainscoting, then we discovered mold growing in one corner! In true one-thing-led-to-another fashion, we're now planning some major home repairs: first it was just new siding (correcting the bad spot where water had gotten in and caused the mold) and addressing the interior mold issue, which, thankfully, is contained to the dining room. Now we're looking at new, energy-efficient windows, a new roof, and kitchen countertops. And won't all that make for some good blogging material? =) Anyway, all that to explain why my dining room seems to have no style whatsoever right now.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was so busy looking at your beautiful table setting to notice the rest of the dining room!! Maggie is definitely a girl after my own heart!