I bought the book for her on Saturday, and today she asked to work her first puzzle, so we read the four-paragraph story about Olympian Wilma Rudolph and then answered the questions. Maggie got about half of them right when we went through the questions the first time (I helped her with most of the spellings), then we read the story again so she could listen for the answers she still needed. The only question she had real trouble with was 5 across ... she kept wanting the answer to be "run," even after I read the sentence, "Her family worked with her to exercise and strengthen her leg," over and over with particular emphasis on strengthen. Still, I think it's a pretty good effort for her first try! Take a look:

We still need to work a bit on penmanship; when she writes quickly, she writes her N's backwards, and her K's are hard to decipher. If you're interested, try clicking on the above image for a larger view of her work. (Oh, and check out how she spelled 'walk' on 7 across ... she's very into spelling phonetically and refuses to be taught otherwise.)

3 comments:
I love it!! Evan has always been really into crosswords (this is the kid who can beat me at Scrabble!!) and sodoku. I don't know if Maggie is into numbers as much as letters, but you can get some pretty easy sodoku books for them at this stage too...
Wow! That's neat! Maybe she will keep up with the crosswords.
FYI-you got the pictures right on my can you guess blog.
that is great!!!
Post a Comment