A couple of cold-hearty crops had already been planted before that first big planting day, including radishes. Since radishes grow quickly, some were already ready for harvest, and Maggie was given the honor of picking the first fruits from our vegetable garden.
So proud of herself!!
The above pictures were taken in April, and the rest were taken in mid-June -- look how the garden has grown!
French marigolds, geraniums, and nasturtiums provide natural pest control.
Not only is the garden visually beautiful, but it smells delicious too!
Painted paving stones - done by church youth - greet garden visitors.
The pepper plot Maggie and I are helping with is against the fence.
The garden also features green beans, peas, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, onions, three varieties of tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, squash, dill, sage, and pineapple sage. We're harvesting so much that we're selling the surplus at church and hope to use the money to fund an irrigation system for the garden. I love that our church does things like this -- not only are we putting into practice Christ's words about caring for the less fortunate (Matthew 25:35) but I get a really tangible teaching teaching tool -- Maggie's learning about science, growth, responsibility, and helping others.
And so am I.







4 comments:
Wow, I love that your church has a garden. How neat!!
I love it!! I grew up helping in my grandparents' garden (they lived on a farm) but am embarrassed to say that I had to get my dad to come down to teach me what gets planted when, etc. a couple of years ago. Now, our garden is thriving and I think it is wonderful, practical knowledge to be passing along to our children. To teach them to share it is even better!!
What a wonderful teaching tool in so many ways - about gardening and serving others. The TBCH regional VP is a friend of mine from church. I'll have to mention to him that I learned about this from reading your blog when I see him.
Beautiful!!!! We have our summer garden up and running but I really can't wait until this fall and winter when we can get something truly amazing growing and share.
Post a Comment