Friday, February 6, 2009

Wit & Wisdom, week of Feb. 6

Here is this week's wit and wisdom, a collection of funny or new things Maggie's said over the past week. Any new words are in italics.
  • "Do I have lips as red as the red, red rose and hair of sunshine gold?"
  • Bobby and I were arguing about the DVD player he bought last fall -- I think it's a piece of junk and should be returned or fixed. He asked me what I wanted him to do, and I answered, fix it! He joked, "Well, let me find my magic wand, and I'll see what I can do." Maggie started rummaging around in her toybox and yelled, "Found it!" and promptly gave him one of her magic wands. =)
  • Sunday morning at breakfast, she told me I was smart. I asked her why she thought that, and she answered, "Because you don't use bad words. [long pause] But sometimes you do use bad words, and in that case, you're not being smart." (Please keep in mind that Maggie's definition of 'bad words' is very different from an adult's!)

  • "Is that any way to treat a princess?"
  • We've been reading a new book, The Invisible Moose. (This will become important in a minute.) One day this week, she asked me, "Mommy? How can God see me all the time if I can't see Him?" I answered as best I could and tried to think of a way to give her an example that might help her understand. "It's sort of like your heart," I said. "We've never seen it, but we know it's there. It's always with you and always there. We can't see God, but we know He's there and is always with us." She thought for a minute and then said, "Like the beautiful moose can't see the other moose's courage, but she knows it's there?" I didn't even think of this example, but it was the perfect connection.

  • "Have I been around the world for four years?"

  • I made apple dumplings to take to a Super Bowl party; Maggie calls them "appling dumplings."

  • She said to me, "Mama, I only dropped one raisins," and then called to my attention the fact that she'd said "one raisins" when it should have been "one raisin." I thought that was pretty smart!

No comments: