We went to a friend's house for the Super Bowl. Bill, in his infinite wisdom, bought football cupcakes for the kids. You know those grocery store cupcakes with the neon-dyed icing that stains clothes and skin and poop? Yeah, those. I insisted that Maggie have a white one ... though I don't think it really mattered. I ended up having to give her a bath at their house.
A few days later, we had snow! It was coming down hard, though none of it was sticking. Still, snow is always a big deal around here, and Maggie wanted to go outside and try to catch some on her tongue. By the time we got adequately suited up, it had stopped falling, but Maggie had a good time playing in the mud pit that used to be our back yard.
---
Less than a week later, we're experiencing record high temperatures! Like everyone else, we've taken advantage of the nice weather and spent a lot of time outside. Maggie rediscovered her love of tree-climbing ...
... and can get to this one little perch all by herself.
Not even slipping and getting a bad case of bark-burn all over her tummy and inner arms has deterred her in her quest to climb. We've always called her a monkey; for once, she seems determined to prove us right instead of wrong!
She's also been enjoying her water table. I tell you, this thing was the best $20 I ever spent! This will be the third summer we've had it, and it still provides her with hours of fun!
Have to include a couple of kitty shots. It seems our newest addition loves milk. And will do just about anything to get some.
Our ailing old man Sebastian enjoyed today's warm weather too -- he came outside while we were working in the yard and curled up in this sunny spot. Maggie couldn't resist lying down with him.
As for Bobby, he's improving daily. We took the bandages off today (about 12 hours early, but the guy was dying for a real shower). He's got two small incisions on either side of his shoulder where the arthroscope was inserted ... each of those has one black stitch. Then, there's a 3" scar on the top of his shoulder where they fixed the impingement. It was covered in little pieces of what looked like tape. I started pulling the tape off, reasoning that if the tiny incisions had their own stitches, then surely the biggest one would have lots of stitches. Turns out, those little pieces of tape were actually steri-strips, and they were holding his outermost layer of skin together. A semi-panicked call to my nurse friend Stacy confirmed that he does have stitches inside, because we can see the ends of what looks a lot like fishing wire poking out each end of the scar, but these strips of super-sticky tape were used to secure the top skin.
(You'd think this would have warranted mention in the hospital's go-home instructions ... a brief, "Oh, by the way, don't take off those little pieces of tape" would have sufficed. Instead, nurse Lisa, who was in all other ways wonderful, simply told me, "After five days, you can take off all the bandages and let him shower, and then just cover them all up with a simple Band-Aid." So I took them off ... all of them.)
Other than this little mishap (and Stacy thinks he'll be fine as long as he doesn't exert too much activity ... and I don't think we're in any danger of that happening), his recovery has been pretty smooth. We took the pain pump out on Saturday, and I'm proud to say that I did it myself. Bobby had quite an audience as I cut off the mile-long length of tape that had secured it while my mom and Maggie craned their necks to get the best view of the show. The pain has definitely picked up since the pump came out, but Bobby is trying to stretch out the pain meds as long as possible rather than automatically popping them every four hours. I'm trying to convince him to go with me to Bible study tomorrow. It will be his first time out of the house since Thursday, and I think it will do him some good to get out. He's starting to get bored from all the sitting around ... there's only so much TV one can watch.











1 comment:
I really love all of the pictures. Today we are experiencing the COLD...so in a few days it will be at your house...maybe even a touch of snow again.
Those steri strips will usually come off with a little water anyways after 1-2 showers and drying they peel off (Derek has had plenty to prove my theory right on those.)
Post a Comment