Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Quick update

Quick update on us ...

Maggie is really loving school. She just seems happier -- she bounces out of the car without even saying good-bye, she hugs her teacher and the other staff members when she leaves each day, and she's much more talkative about her day when she gets home. Mrs. Dana is great about sending home a daily update too, so I can see how Maggie has spent her time. It seems like this year is more focused on academics; Maggie is coming home with fewer cutesy art projects, and instead brings home more things like handwriting exercises and homemade books. Here's Monday's update from Mrs. Dana, just to give you an idea of what she sends out:

Today's activities: 'H' new letter of the week / we talked about healthy habits and hand washing.
  1. The children traced their own hands. (This way I can see each child's coordination.)
  2. Chapel with Mrs. Carol.
  3. Circle Time (flag holder: Gigi, Calendar: Bo, Line Leader: Caroline)
  4. Books read today: Hide and Seek Hippo, The Hippo-NOT-amus
  5. Practice writing the letter H.
  6. Free play
  7. Snack time: Layla made yummy 'H'ershey's Kiss cookies for the class.
  8. Gym/PE with Mrs. Amy
  9. Outside play today.

What a great Monday!


Maggie also shared with me that one child had to move her pin down (on the behavior chart) from Best Blue to OK Orange because she wasn't listening. I asked Maggie if she'd ever had to move her pin down, and she answered, "No, because I'm a GOOOOOOD listener."


In other news, I'm working on Maggie's fourth-year slideshow, so if I'm not keeping up the blog as much as possible, that's why. I'm learning new software, so that's fun and challenging at the same time. And this morning, I dropped her off at preschool, drove around to the other side of the parking lot, and walked 1.1 miles around our church walking track! I want to start doing this each MWF morning -- you guys can help hold me accountable!!

Maggie has an angry rash on her bottom. She's had this before, and it turned out to be a strep/staph infection on the skin. I have some antibiotic cream left, and I was going to call the dr. to see if it was OK to go ahead and treat it topically. Maggie insisted she needed to go see Dr. Rodgers because in addition to the itchy rash on her bottom, "I also have an itchy, bad mosquito bite on my leg." I think she just wanted to go see Dr. R -- she loves her! Anyway, I called and there were no appts. this afternoon, so I just talked to a nurse. The nurse gave me some ideas but said if it doesn't improve by Friday, or if it turns to pustules (sp?) or Maggie starts running a fever, that they will want to see her and swab the rash for testing. Maggie may get her wish (seeing Dr. Rodgers) after all ...

3 comments:

Candy said...

Her school sounds great! I'm glad that everything is going well, besides the rash. Hopefully it clears up soon!

Destiny said...

I am so glad Maggie is enjoying school. I can't believe how much she has grown or that she is 4 alreay!! She is sucha clever little girl and sounds lik a GREAT BIG JOY!
BTW-Topical antibiotics are TYPICALLY only goos for about 30 days UNLESS they are stored in a refrigerator.

Alicia said...

What a neat thing the teacher is doing every day! I would love to see frequent updates like this as well.

Rebekah loves Dr. Rodgers too. When I took Joshua to see her earlier this week for his EI Rebekah got so excited as we pulled into the parking lot. She shouted, "We're at Dr. Rodgers' office!!!"