Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Gimme a D-E-N-T-I-S-T!

Maggie and I went to the dentist today, and she had her first cleaning! I wasn't too worried about it since she's accompanied me twice before (read an account of her first visit here) and had a blast both times. But a few days ago, when I started preparing her and talking up today's visit, the deer-in-headlights look crossed her face more than once. "I like Dr. Sally," she'd say (Sally is the hygienist and, no, she's not an actual doctor), "but I don't think I want her to tickle my teeth."

She watched as I went first, got my teeth counted and tickled, then it was her turn. She was great at first, while Sally counted and checked for "cavity bugs." (Notice the doll in Maggie's lap ... that's Baby Sally, bought last December and named after the hygienist, who was so touched by the honor today that she carried the doll through the office, singing to it.)

free image hosting

Maggie wore her sunglasses so the light wouldn't be too bright in her eyes.

free image hosting
Sally told her to think of an animal that opens its mouth wide, and I expected her to name a lion, tiger, or other big cat. Instead, her answer was an excited, "hippopotamus!!" Her task then was to open her mouth as wide as a hippopotamus.


She was less excited about the actual cleaning. Even though she'd smelled and touched the toothpaste (or whatever that stuff is), played with the suction machine, and felt the rubber tip, she clamped her little mouth shut and tried to climb out of the chair into my lap. After a few minutes of unsuccessful attempts at bribery, Sally said to Maggie, "I think Mommy has to use the potty. Let's sit here and play with this until she comes back." I took my cue and scooted out of sight, and within 60 seconds, Maggie had complied and was letting Sally clean her teeth!
free image hosting
After a successful cleaning, the only thing left was a quick exam by the real dentist, Joe Prince.

I just love Dr. Prince; he's been my dentist for years (Bobby's too), and it's been fun for him to get to know Maggie as he's treated our family through the years. He always calls me his "favorite redheaded patient." He pronounced Maggie's teeth "perfect" -- the spacing between them is great (and hopefully an indicator that she won't need braces) and her occlusion and alignment were totally normal.

free image hosting

All smiles after a great trip to the dentist!

When we were finished, we headed to The Little Gym for a trial cheerleading class. They're starting a preschool cheer class this summer, and although Maggie's not signed up for it, she is doing a four-day cheer camp in June, and we wanted to see how it differed from the other TLG classes she's had. I think cheerleading might be a good fit for her -- there was more activity and movement than in the dance class, plus she got to yell loudly, which she loved. She was seriously the loudest kid in the group. They learned a short cheer with motions -- "Spirit bugs, spirit bugs, go team go!" -- then went into the gym to learn a few specific skills.

I don't normally take my camera to TLG except for their end-of-semester shows, but since we came straight from the dentist's office, I took advantage of the chance to get some TLG pictures too.

free image hosting
Handstand with Miss Rebecca


free image hosting

Final pose with Miss Brooke
(there's a more technical name for this stance ... I just can't remember it right now)

When we were done, I treated her to ice cream on the way home -- part of her reward for good behavior at the dentist's office. I think she earned it!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a great day, Lee Anne! Fiona did gymnastics at the LG and we loved it!

I really enjoyed the fact that Maggie wore her hip sunglasses to the dentist - functional AND fashionable!

Candy said...

What a big day for Maggie! She's such a doll. I love her sunglasses at the dentist...never would have thought of that one!