Friday, December 19, 2008

Wit & Wisdom, week of Dec. 19

Here is this week's wit and wisdom, a collection of funny or insightful things Maggie has said. Any new (or newish) words are in italics.

  • "Mommy, you're older than Daddy ... but Daddy's bigger than you. That's confusing!"

  • "You didn't talk while I was singing because you didn't want to distract me?"
  • "I'm Super Hero Maggie!" she announced. I responded: "Hi, Super Hero Maggie. I'm Plain Old Mommy. What's your superpower?" She thought for a minute, looked at our cat (named Sandy) and answered, "I'm Sandy-powered!"

  • "My baby Cacas [yes, there are now two] always do what I tell them to do, but my other animals never listen to me ... they just immediately don't do what I tell them to do."

  • She was looking in the mirror as I pulled her hair back, and she declared, "I look like Grandma!" Before I had time to respond, she said, "Don't I? Kind of? Yes? No? Maybe?"

  • "Mommy, snuggle in my bed and sleep here all night and don't get up to sleep in your bed. I don't like being here alone."

  • "If candy was healthy and not full of sugar and cavity bugs, then we could eat it ALL THE TIME!"

  • "If I'm not telling a lie and I say I am, that would be a lie -- two lies!"

  • "Where is Caca and blanket? I was expecting them to be here when I woke up!"

  • In wrapping her gifts, I got a bit tired of putting "To Maggie, From Mommy and Daddy" on each gift. So I started playing around with different gift-givers. She now has presents under the tree from the cats, from our dog, and from Tinkerbell. She was checking out each gift tag to identify which were hers, and she recognized the word Tinkerbell. To say she was excited doesn't begin to describe her reaction. Thus began all sorts of speculation as to how TB got inside our house and what the gift might be. Some of her comments were really cracking me up: "That's so magical!" "Maybe it's a talent for me to learn how to tinker!" - if you've seen the movie, you'll understand - and my favorite comment: "Oh, bless me, my heart is so happy!"


I forgot to blog about this last week, but she read almost an entire "real" story by herself. She can read the simple BOB Books and a couple of other similar series that I've found (in fact, I got her a new, progressive series for Christmas) but this was the first existing book that she's really read ... as in, not simply memorized because she's heard the story so much. She picked it out as a bedtime story, and as I started to read it, she took over and read all but the last two pages. It's from an Usbourne collection called Ted and Friends:



Fat Cat on a Mat



Fat Cat sees a bee. Fat Cat flees up a tree. "I don't like bees!" yelps Fat Cat. "I don't like bees and I don't like trees. I don't like bees or trees."

"Are you stuck?" shouts Big Pig. "Bad luck!" shouts Big Pig.

Fat Cat groans. "I am stuck. It is bad luck," she moans. The tree bends ... and the nest drops off the end. The nest drops, with a plop, on top of Big Pig. "Like my new hat, Fat Cat?"

"Good catch!" yelps Fat Cat. Fat Cat lands in a sandy patch.

There's more to the story -- Fat Cat helps the eggs to hatch -- but I'll spare you having to read through it all ... I just wanted to share how much Maggie was able to read, all by herself! She needed help with the words 'like' (she kept saying lick) 'groans,' and 'catch' since she doesn't really know when to use a long vowel and when to use a short vowel. But once I helped her the first time, like with 'groans,' she remembered the sound combinations and was able to figure out 'moans' and other rhyming combinations by herself. I am so proud of the progress she's making!

No comments: