Sunday, December 14, 2008

The week in photos

On Wednesday, Maggie had her Cherub Choir concert. She did really well -- stood up during the whole concert and sang most of the songs. (Sitting down has been a big problem for her in the past, as has sitting still. Anyone remember her debut performance last March?) I managed to get one OK photo ...

free image hosting



The Cherubs performed with all of the youth choirs in our church, from kindergarten up to high school. For the very last song, they all sang together. It was really good, but Maggie on the back row decided to go diving for leftover candy that the high school kids had thrown into the audience at one point. She disappeared under the crowd, and I had no idea what she was doing on stage until she came back to our seat with her fists full of candy. What can I say ... she's resourceful!

On Thursday, she was goofing around and discovered these new "socks":

free image hosting



On Friday morning, I looked out Maggie's bedroom window and saw the remnants of the brightest full moon all year. It's a little blurry, but I love how this photo turned out ... still such a bright moon after the sun had started to rise.

free image hosting


On Saturday, Maggie had her regular gymnastics class. After that, Bobby took Sebastian to the vet for a chest x-ray which, if it were clear, would have indicated a good prognosis as far as his cancer (that it hadn't spread) and if it weren't clear, would have been bad news. I didn't want to do the x-ray; I preferred to just enjoy the time with Sebastian and not worry about how much -- or how little -- time he has left. So I told Bobby if he wanted to do the x-ray (he did) then he'd have to take him, and he WAS NOT allowed to tell me the results ... good or bad. He did pretty well, but a couple of hours later, we were in the car driving to the Christmas tree farm, and he said, "I don't like knowing something about our cat that you don't know." We engaged in a series of "Well, that was your choice ... you knew I didn't want to know" and "What if it's not as bad as you think?" and "How do you know what I'm thinking?" dumb arguments, and he finally blurted out, "It's clear; the chest x-ray was totally clear. Dr. Neal doesn't think the cancer had spread to any other part of his body."

It was really good to get some good news after the bad week we had last week.

So we headed to Kittle Tree Farms -- a great place to chop your own tree, and every tree on the lot is only $35. Maggie didn't pay much attention to selecting the tree, though she did vote 'yes' on this one, the winner:



free image hosting


Instead, she loved running up and down the aisles of trees.

free image hosting


On Saturday morning, she discovered that Jinglers had left her a kit for making a small gingerbread house. Well, it wasn't really gingerbread, but she had a good time with it. That Jinglers ... he got a deal at the Factory Card Outlet. When I tried helping her glue the walls up, they were horribly crooked and wouldn't stay up. We called in the construction expert, Daddy, and it turns out we had the walls in the wrong places. He fixed our mistake, and pretty soon the icing glue had hardened and Maggie was able to decorate it.

free image hosting


Here's the finished product:

free image hosting


We put up our live tree yesterday, and guess who was instantly interested?

free image hosting


Yes, those are kitten eyes that you see. Both kittens ran up and down the tree trunk last night. They were hilarious; we'd look up and notice the tree shaking back and forth, or waving gently, as if it were simply blowing in the breeze, and inevitably a black streak would shoot out of its branches. I held off on putting many ornaments on it, especially the breakables, until today. The little monsters haven't been as interested in the tree today; hopefully they've gotten it out of their systems.

Today, we had a potluck lunch with my Thursday morning ladies' Bible study. It's just five of us, a small, intimate group, and it was fun to finally get the husbands together too. Lunch ended with Bobby and me crawling around the crawlspace under Kim's house, trying to rescue a cat who'd gotten under there. A plate of tuna later, he came out, we got the ID tag off him, and Kim made a call to his owner, who turned out to be a neighbor of hers. Tonight, I went to the annual Victorian Christmas tea at the English Rose tea room. It's an amazing multi-course food experience; we enjoyed cheese, crackers, rolls, salmon mousse, mushrooms in puff pastry, English shrimp cocktail (different from here in the U.S.), tapenade, scones, traditional English pudding, and more. The portions are small, but there are so many courses, you always leave stuffed! I've been going for about seven years with friends from UTC; now our group has expanded to include a mom, a cousin, and a neighbor. We had nine ladies with us this year, and we had a wonderful, wonderful time.

Now that I've done some of MY traditions -- getting a live tree, attending the ER's Christmas tea -- it's starting to feel more like Christmas to me!

1 comment:

Destiny said...

Great stories and pictures. I love cats and wish we could own one..though they could not be as bad as my dogs. Thank goodness for some good news about your other cat too.