- My friend asked her whether she'd become a big girl at age 3 or age 4, and she answered 4. "What will happen when you turn 5?" my friend asked. Maggie's answer: "Well, then I'll be a year older!" Like, duh!
- We were playing Alice in Wonderland -- I was Alice, and Maggie was the Queen of Hearts, who in Maggie's version of the story is Alice's mother. Maggie the Queen Mommy had fun telling me what to do at all turns, and at one point told me, "I'm the boss. I call the shots."
- I think I mentioned a while back that she learned to play tag while we were at the beach. She's gotten back into this game lately, and the other day she tagged Bobby, then said, "You are SO it, Daddy."
- I've been so immersed in politics this summer and fall, and Maggie's obviously picked up on a lot of it. She likes Obama because we like Obama (though she also says she likes Palin; I think she enjoys seeing my incredulous reactions), and when we voted early a couple of weeks ago, she told the whole room she was voting for Rock Obama. So on Tuesday night, I let her fall asleep in my bed while I was watching election returns. Shortly before she fell asleep, NBC called Pennsylvania for Obama, and I let out a cheer. "Did he win?" Maggie asked. "No, but he's a lot closer now," I answered. Once she fell asleep, I headed to my friend Deborah's house to watch the returns. When I got home around 12:45 a.m., I tiptoed upstairs and whispered in Maggie's ear, "He won, Maggie. Obama won." I totally didn't expect her to even hear me, but she opened her eyes and drowsily asked, "He's our president now?" Yes, I told her, and she smiled big, then rolled over and went back to sleep. It was really cute.
Reading update: She is getting much better ... she can sound out short words much more quickly, and she can figure out longer words. Here are some of the foamy soap words she's read this week: shower, flower, power, skin, sleep, happy, wiggle, giggle, scoop, and swoop.

No comments:
Post a Comment