Friday, April 10, 2009

Wit & Wisdom, week of Easter

Here is this week's wit and wisdom, a collection of funny or interesting things Maggie has said this week. New (or rarely used) words are in italics.
  • "Mama, surprisingly, Emma and Evie made up a new game, and I was in the game. Their daddy is in the hospital, he got hit by a car, and we pretend in the book that their daddy is in the hospital. "

  • We were watching the news, listening to updates about the Italy earthquake. Maggie told Bobby, "I know all about Italy. I know Italy because Mommy watches Rick Steve."

  • A friend had come over for a minute, and while we were talking, Maggie was trying all sorts of ways to show off and get attention. She put on her Tinkerbell dress but couldn't find her wings, so she came over and said, "Excuse me, Mommy. I can't find my Tinkerbell wings. Do you have any sugess ... sugg ... suggestions about where I could look?" (points for politeness)

  • Shortly after going to bed, she got back out, claiming to have had a bad dream. I didn't think she'd even fallen asleep yet, and she insisted that she had. "I WAS asleep, but I dreamed I WASN'T asleep. And then I was with Captain Hook."

  • We were looking at an airplane high in the sky, with the contrails of smoke trailing behind. Maggie asked, "Where do you think the airplane is taking the people on it?" I said it might be taking them anywhere, and she responded, "Anything? Maybe it's taking them to the forest. To catch bears. It could be ANYTHING!" She seemed so excited at the concept that anything was possible.

  • "Mommy, you are an artificial toad!"
  • She picked up a ceramic tea pot ornament that got left out when we packed up Christmas. It was on my dresser, about to be knocked over by a cat, and Maggie said, "Mommy! I saw this breakable ornament, and I carefully moved it from here to here so that Lucky didn't accidentally knock it off." As a grammar nut, I was just so proud at her use of adverbs! ;-)

  • We've been reading a lot about Easter, Christ's death and resurrection, etc., in preparation for Easter, and on the way to church last week, she asked if Jesus's death was a bad thing or a good thing. I told her that it was both, while admitting that this was probably hard for her to understand. She immediately answered: "It's bad because he died and got hurt, but it's good because he got to come back. And he came back so he could save us. So that's good." Out of the mouths of babes ...

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I would just love to hug her! She is so cute and reading your blog helps me feel like I know her and her personality!