Friday, April 3, 2009

Empty-Tomb Biscuits

Maggie's class made these empty-tomb biscuits in school today, and Mrs. Dana sent home the recipe. I thought I'd share it here, since I know that many of you are doing Easter-themed activities with your kids. The marshmallows melt inside the biscuits during cooking, and the baked biscuits are hollow and empty, just like Jesus's tomb on Easter morning.

Empty-Tomb Biscuits
one can of refrigerated biscuit dough (10 biscuits)
1 cup butter
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
large marshmallows
  1. To make the tombs, open can of biscuits and separate each biscuit from the others.
  2. Working on waxed paper, use hands to flatten the biscuits.
  3. In a glass bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.
  4. In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar.
  5. Dip a marshmallow (which represents the body of Christ) in the butter and roll in cinnamon/sugar mixture (this represents the oil and spices the body was annointed with before burial).
  6. Place a marshmallow on the dough and carefully wrap dough around the marshmallow. Make sure seams are pinched together so that the marshmallow will not ooze out.
  7. Dip in butter and roll in cinnamon sugar.
  8. Bake according to package directions.
  9. When cool, break open and see what's inside.

To coordinate this with scripture, the recipe suggests reading Luke 24:1-11 and 36-49 first, or maybe even while the biscuits are cooking.

I haven't tried these biscuits, but Maggie pronounced them "so yummy!" I think the recipe looks like one in which kids can do a lot by themselves, which is always a good thing at this age! :)

Happy Easter!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Those are just like the Resurrection Rolls, but you use crescent dough instead of biscuits. I failed to read the directions closely and we put the melted butter and sugar/cinnamon mix on top of the rolls.
We also read the passage in Matthew, but I'm sure it's the same account from Luke's perspective.

becky bell said...

Thanks for sharing! I will have to do this with Max this week!

Flickaghan said...

Can't wait to make these!