Friday, July 4, 2008

It's official ...


... I am less intelligent than my 3 1/2-year-old. And I have concrete proof.

We have an old game called Gridlock. It's full of pieces with different shaped cutouts, and the object of the game is to complete the puzzle with a limited amount of pieces (there are various combinations printed on the box). Like this:



Maggie loves to play with the pieces and put them on the puzzle board. This afternoon, she proudly announced, "I did it!" When we looked up, she had filled up the whole puzzle board perfectly! Obviously, she wasn't limited to one of the game's predetermined combinations of pieces, so I praised her outwardly while inwardly dismissing it as not a big deal.

Fast forward to tonight. Maggie was asleep and I was putting the pieces away. I decided to try my hand at one of the "real" games (only using certain pieces). I couldn't do it. After several failed attempts, I resorted to choosing from ALL pieces. And I still couldn't do it! I tried over and over and over, and even with all of the game pieces at my disposal, I could not fill up the board completely, as Maggie had done earlier.

I feel really dumb now ...

No comments: