Thursday, June 3, 2010

End of K4 :(

It sounds cliche to say "It seems like only yesterday that Maggie ..." but it truly does seem like she started K4 at her new school just yesterday. I remember taking her last spring for her assessment and visiting in August for phase-in and new-parent meetings. I remember feeling a huge sense of relief after she met (and liked!) her teacher and after she made her first friend at the "Yahoo/Boo-Hoo Breakfast."

And just like that, it's over.

Maggie has finished K4. I can't even believe that she will be in kindergarten next year (and I'm so glad I listened to my gut and decided not to send her to K5 early). I'm glad she had this year to ease into a new school and a more academic routine, and I'm glad I had this extra year at home with her.

But before I get too sad or sentimental, there was fun to be had as Maggie and her classmates wrapped up a fun year in K4. Maggie and the other girls from K4 and K5 were fireflies in the school's production of "Camp Wallaballa," a musical about a group of kids and their teacher who get stranded on their way to church camp. Not only was the musical a great way to showcase the talented students, it was a dinner theater fundraiser for the school. The show was two nights, and Bobby and I volunteered as servers on night one and enjoyed the second night as guests. The second night was also a tribute to our beloved principal, who is leaving after 12 years at the school. I did a slideshow for her, much like the ones I do for Maggie each year, and there were many smiles and tears. The fireflies stole the show, though. They were so cute, fluttering in the dark with their blinking lights. I'll see if I can figure out how to get video on here, but here are some pictures until then ...


My beautiful firefly before the show.


Getting her face painted by Mrs. Angie, one of the K5 moms.


The fireflies make their grand entrance, fluttering amidst the dinner tables.


Maggie has never shown a real interest in dance (though she dances around the house all the time), but she was very "into" this dance!


I finally caught a smile!


The song ended with the line, "...Because my dreams are bursting at the seams," to which the fireflies laid down on the stage and went to sleep. So cute!


Everyone came back on stage for the finale.


Maggie with two of her classmates.


With Mrs. Ginny, our wonderful principal.


Maggie and one of her teachers. This was seriously the first time I'd ever seen Mrs. Derrick in a t-shirt ... notice she's wearing pearls and heels!

Camp Wallaballa was on a Friday and a Saturday; the following Monday was class party day. We planned a beach party for Maggie's class. The kids wore their swimsuits and packed sack lunches, and we had water toys out on the playground field. There was a big inflatable water slide, a kiddie pool, a slip & slide, a water table with toys, and a bubble station - a tiny kiddie pool filled with bubble mix and wands of different shapes and sizes. The kids played, blew bubbles, played, snacked on cupcakes and fruit under the trees, played some more, had a picnic lunch together, then played water balloon games - they were exhausted!


I couldn't believe that Maggie, who has always been wary of these waterslides, had so much fun going down this one!


She seriously loved it!


Posing at the top.


Love that smile!


She was so adventurous that she even went over the edge a couple of times.


Case in point ...


At the bottom of the slide in a pile of friends.


This is her boyfriend Preston. They're planning to get married and have a daughter named Alice.


Finally, the Wednesday after the party was Promotion Day and Maggie's last day of school. The K3, K4, and K5 classes put on a program together; Maggie's class sang several songs about the fruits of the spirit.


Each child got her moment to shine, walking in one by one.



Performing with her classmates.


Maggie receives her diploma ... though she doesn't look too thrilled.


Hugs from Mrs. Derrick.


Hugs from Mrs. Sherri.


And hugs from good friends!



The only thing missing from the end-of-the-year fun was Mrs. Slaten, Maggie's teacher. But at least she had a great reason for missing out - she was home with a new baby! Shepard Walker Slaten was born on May 19, and we can't wait to meet him!

At the beach party, I took Maggie to the restroom at one point, and while washing her hands she said to me, "Mommy, I have such good friends in K4. I hope they all stay with me until 8th grade." How sweet is that?!? I am so thrilled she's made so many good friends in just one year, and I am happy to report that the girl who never before liked school is already asking when she can go back.

1 comment:

lyndsay said...

tears. while, yes, i had a good excuse to miss all this stuff, i still wish i could have done BOTH!!! i seriously HATED missing everything!!

i'm so proud of maggie, the big kindergartner!! i'd type more but i'm using one hand while shepard eats...:)