Friday, June 11, 2010

Art explosion

Maggie has never been very interested in art ... until lately. I don't know what's inspired this sudden interest in creating, but she now loves to draw and color. Six months ago, her idea of coloring was to take three or four crayons in her hand, make two giant scribbles across the page, and declare herself finished. Now, she's meticulous about staying in the lines and choosing just the right colors.

She's also gotten quite good at freehand-drawing various objects; her favorite things to draw are cats ... wonder why?!?


She drew this cat on the kids' (paper-covered) table at the wedding of Ms. Brooke, her former gymnastics teacher.


I think this one was from a couple of weeks ago.

I was also impressed at her first-ever rendering of a cartoon character: Arthur. After certain episodes, Marc Brown (Arthur's creator) comes on and gives kids a quick how-to-draw-Arthur lesson ... circles here, eyeglasses there, that sort of thing. Maggie didn't have a pen in hand while she watched one of these lessons, but she got up from the TV shortly thereafter and tried to draw him. I was surprised at how good it was!


Maggie's rendition of Arthur.

It's fun seeing this new side of Maggie, and I love watching her get so into her art work. I can't wait to see what she draws next!

1 comment:

lyndsay said...

whoa. SERIOUSLY impressed. :)