Friday, October 24, 2008

Wit & Wisdom, week of Oct. 24

Here is this week's wit and wisdom, a sampling of the funny or interesting things Maggie's said over the week. New words are in italics.
  • After putting on a new princess dress/jewelry set (thanks Ashe family!!), she declared: "I'm a special princess. I'm a true princess. I'm a jolly princess!" and later, "I look very princessy."
  • "When I go 'bum bum' [while singing], it keeps me situated to the song."
  • "I can't sleep in my bed with my friends [stuffed animals] because they keep tempting me to play with them."
  • At the beach last month, my uncle taught Maggie the concept of knock-knock jokes. Most of hers are silly, something like: "Knock knock. Who's there? Pumpkin. Pumpkin who? Pumpkin kitty cat!" which still yields hysterical laughter on her part. Well, Tuesday night she came up with a good one all on her own! "Knock knock. Who's there? Glad. Glad who? Gladiator!"
  • I wasn't expecting Tommy to give me a dinosaur for my birthday!"

On Thursday night, we saw Disney on Ice. It was very cute, and Maggie's face just lit up each time the characters she recognized (Ariel, Sebastian, Timon, Pumba, and Tinkerbell) took the ice. The program featured snippets from each of the movies The Little Mermaid, Lion King, Peter Pan, and Lilo & Stitch. I thought Maggie would enjoy watching the skaters in their elaborate costumes, but she followed the plots extremely closely! Especially in the movies she's less familiar with, like Lilo & Stitch, she asked so many questions I worried that the people sitting around us would be bothered. The show wasn't over until nearly 9 p.m., and I just knew she'd conk out in the car on the way home. Wrong again! She asked question after question all the way home. Here's a sample of the ones I can remember:

  • Why did the man hurt the big witch (in TLM) and save everyone else?
  • Why did Ariel give the witch her voice?
  • Were the aliens (in L&S) friendly or mean?
  • Why didn't Peter Pan lift up Tinkerbell like the other men lifted the women?
  • What happened to Captain Hook after the big alligator ate him?
  • Why didn't the witch skate off the stage?
  • How did you know those were Ariel's sisters?
  • Why did Ariel want to be a person instead of a mermaid?
  • Why did we all have to clap to wake up Tinkerbell?
  • Is the big monkey (from LK) bad or good?
  • What happened to that guy's shirt? (in L&S)
  • What kind of animal is Stitch?
  • Why did they have to shoot fireworks at the end? (Maggie hates fireworks.)
  • Did the fireworks land on any of the skaters?

I'm exhausted just from trying to answer her questions. And wouldn't you know ... I took my camera to Disney on Ice but left the memory card sitting in the computer! Sorry, no pictures from tonight.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

How fun! Pooey about the memory card! I've done that a number of times and forget that we keep a back-up card in our camera bag. Glad you all enjoyed the show, though!