Sunday, June 8, 2008

Wit & Wisdom, week of June 6

I've been without internet for 48 hours -- the horror! I've really been feeling withdrawal, especially from email and blogging. Without further adieu, here is this week's wit and wisdom, courtesy of Maggie ... some of the funny or insightful things she's said throughout the week. New words are in italics.

  • "I wish I had a kitty named Hello Kitty like I have Hello Kitty band-aids."
  • "I have a very shareful daddy."
  • "Look Daddy ... I'm hugging my very best friend." (said while hugging Mommy)

Since I don't have that many funny sayings this week, I thought I'd share a few cute stories. Maggie's reading is really improving, and this week she figured out bus, frog, and sit all on her own. I'd written several words on the dry-erase part of her art easel (including the previous three), and one was cat. Maggie erased the T and said, "No, that word is supposed to be car." When I asked her what letter we needed to add to make the word spell car, she thought for a minute, made the "rrrrr" sound, and then excitedly said R!

She also spent a lot of time this week playing with her Dora cash register. She calls it the cash machine game and likes to be "the payer." In Maggie's game, the person who takes the money is the payer. I like Maggie's version of shopping better, because in her world, I (the buyer) hand my purchases to Maggie ("the payer") and she rings them up ... and then gives me all the money in the cash drawer. :-) She also distinguishes between money and cash ... the white bills in the cash register are "money," while the colored Dora Dollars are "cash."

She was typing on the computer this week and wanted to spell out grandma. I told her which letters to type, and when she got to the end, she kept on going, with this result: GRANDMAGGIE. I thought it was pretty clever of her to realize that the last two letters of grandma are the same as the first two letters in her own name.

Finally, I think this last story is hilarious. We were at a birthday party yesterday, and Maggie was playing in a fairly deep kids' pool. At one point, she slipped and went under accidentally. She came right back up and wasn't too upset about it; on the contrary, she was proud of herself and talked with all the bravado in the world. "I went all the way under!" she'd proudly say. So a few minutes later, when her friends Heidi and Rebekah joined her in the pool, Maggie said to Heidi, "Can YOU go under all the way like I went under all the way?" I'd been encouraging Maggie to do it again on purpose this time, to her constant refusal, so I suggested she show Heidi how to go all the way under. "Nope," Maggie replied, then she turned to Rebekah and said, "Rebekah, YOU show Heidi how to go all the way under." My little schemer ...

No comments: