Monday, June 24, 2013

Pinterest fail



I've been on Pinterest for about a year now, and like most people, I LOVE it. (I'd link to my boards, but I'm blogging from my phone now and don't know how to insert links.) Anyway, I'm proud of myself that I've actually attempted several of the things I've pinned. Most of the time they work out great, albeit considerably less attractive than the original pin. 

Today I attempted homemade bubble mix - a concoction that's supposed to result in sturdy, even stackable, giant bubbles. The recipe called for six cups of water, one cup of corn syrup, and two cups of Joy dishwashing liquid. I halved it. I also made a few substitutions ... well, pretty much everything but the water. (As a side note, I do this a lot in my cooking too. It's a big joke to my friend Deborah, who calls it the Leeler Substitution Method of cooking. And like Pinterest, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.)

I didn't have corn syrup, so I used honey instead. It's a thick, sticky liquid, so it's basically the same thing, no? And I didn't have Joy brand of dish liquid. I normally use Eco-friendly brands - Mrs. Meyer's lemon verbena is my current fave ... omgosh it smells SO good - but there's no way I was paying $6 or more a bottle for this crafty experiment. So I bought the $1 bottle of Great Value soap just for this project. 

Big time fail. 

The liquid was way too runny, so I added more soap. And more soap. And finally the entire bottle. Maggie and her friends couldn't even produce a single bubble, let alone the stackable giants we'd been promised.  

The finished product - 3 cups of water, 1/2 cup of honey, and a whole lotta cheap-ass dish soap. 

The kids were happily undaunted by the failed bubble mix. (Well, all but my daughter, who by this time was on the porch milking a wasp sting.) They stirred it and splashed it and had a grand time until one boy poured the bowlful onto the head of another. Onto the head and into the eyes. 

Nothing puts a halt to summer fun like an entire bottle of Great Value dish soap in the eye. Running through the sprinklers, anyone?

No comments: