Monday, October 12, 2009

Not for the faint of head

Maggie was thrilled to attend her friend Heidi's birthday party this weekend. The party theme was a princess tea party, and all of the girls were invited to wear their finest princess attire. We bought a new princess dress for Maggie since her dress-up stuff has become pretty tattered (and Halloween sales made it a great time to buy!), and Maggie wanted to complete her fancy new look by curling her hair!

I hunted down my old hot rollers and found them in the highest corner of the closet. I dusted them off and plugged them in, praying they still worked. They did!! With great pomp and circumstance, I rolled Maggie's hair on the two smallest sizes and eagerly awaited the results.

She hated it.

She didn't like the way the rollers weighed down her head, and when I asked her why she was frowning at herself in the mirror, she answered, "I look silly. People are going to make fun of me when they see me with these things in my hair!" Even after I explained that we'd take them out before leaving for the party, she wanted them out - she didn't like the way they felt, and they were starting to hurt - so as quickly as I'd put them in, I took them out.

Her hair was curlier than I thought it would be, considering the short amount of time she left the rollers in, though the curls didn't last very long. I managed to get a couple of pictures before they all fell out:


free image hosting

free image hosting

I love curly hair and think it's precious on little girls (and like many girls of the 70's, I often slept on pink spongy rollers to force my own stick-straight mane to curl), so I couldn't wait to see my own curly-headed cherub. And guess what? I'll never tell her this, but I didn't really like the curls on Maggie. She just didn't look like herself! I think we both learned important lessons - she, that beauty isn't worth pain, and I, a much-needed reminder that natural is almost always better!!

No comments: