Friday, October 2, 2009

My newfound obsession

Within the span of about a month, Chattanooga has gone from having precisely zero gourmet cupcake stores to having two. I think it's funny that this is such a specific niche business, and all of a sudden we have two opening at the same time (one a chain, and one an independent store). But who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

Last week Maggie and I visited Whipped; it's located at Coolidge Park and is owned by three Chattanooga women. We chose three cupcakes - double chocolate for me, strawberry for her (chosen because of its slight pink hue), and Italian creme for Bobby since that was our wedding cake flavor. That night after dinner, we had a cupcake buffet! I cut each cupcake in half, and we got to have half of the cupcake we'd chosen for ourselves. Then, I cut the remaining half in half again, so we got to sample 1/4 of the other flavors. I know that sounds weird and complicated ... let me illustrate:

free image hosting

My plate features half of my chocolate cupcake, plus 1/4 each of the strawberry and Italian creme.

This was a great way to try new flavors; we agreed that they were all delicious, but each of us liked "our own" cupcake the best! And they were so big that we each ended up sliding our plates into a ziplock bag to save the rest for the next day. (I become so enamoured with the chocolate that I contemplated licking the chocolate off everyone else's plates too. You can tell these babies are made from scratch using quality ingredients. Seriously, addictively great.)


free image hosting
Maggie gets serious about her strawberry half.

free image hosting
Can't you just see the hint of a sugar high in her eyes?

This week, we tried Gigi's, which is closer to our house. Dangerously close, in fact, except that I ended up not liking my cupcake (again, double chocolate) as much as the one from Whipped. Unfortunately, this is probably not enough to keep me from frequenting the store, especially since I want to try their gingerbread and chocolate malt flavors AND I have a couple of coupons. Sigh. And I was planning to lose weight before Haifa's wedding in January. Decisions, decisions ...

free image hosting

Maggie loved her "Birthday Surprise" cupcake from Gigi's - a towering monstrosity of pink icing rivaling ice cream cone height.

No comments: