Earlier today, my mom turned me on to this website called Sojourners, whose mission is "to articulate the biblical call to social justice, inspiring hope and building a movement to transform individuals, communities, the church, and the world." While browsing their site, I found this short creed, which sums up the way I feel about the ongoing debate on health-care reform. So much about this debate - and I do use that term loosely since there's not much real debate going on - strikes me as decidedly unChristian ... not only in the hysterics and fear-mongering that certain sides are encouraging, but in the debate itself and the underlying motivations (of some, though certainly not all).
I like this creed because, rather than endorse a specific party or plan, it simply points us back to the Bible. Which, if you're a Christian, is where it all begins and ends. And I believe it's impossible to read that book and hear the teachings of Christ and not believe something different should be done about health care in our country. In my opinion, never before was the question "What would Jesus do?" more applicable nationwide.
Anyway, here - in borrowed form from the Sojourners site - is my contribution to the Madhouse ... for religion this week and for politics last week.
A Christian Creed on Health-Care Reform
In the face of negative ads, partisan rhetoric, and a news cycle filled with fear and half-truths about health-care reform, Christians must affirm that we believe in: quality, affordable access to life-giving services for all people.
- As one of God's children, I believe that protecting the health of each human being is a profoundly important personal and communal responsibility for people of faith.
- I believe God created each person in the divine image to be spiritually and physically healthy. I feel the pain of sickness and disease in our broken world (Genesis 1:27, Romans 8:22).
- I believe life and healing are core tenets of the Christian life. Christ's ministry included physical healing, and we are called to participate in God's new creation as instruments of healing and redemption (Matthew 4:23, Luke 9:1-6; Mark 7:32-35, Acts 10:38). Our nation should strive to ensure all people have access to life-giving treatments and care.
- I believe, as taught by the Hebrew prophets and Jesus, that the measure of a society is seen in how it treats the most vulnerable. The current discussion about health-care reform is important for the United States to move toward a more just system of providing care to all people (Isaiah 1:16-17, Jeremiah 7:5-7, Matthew 25:31-45).
- I believe that all people have a moral obligation to tell the truth. To serve the common good of our entire nation, all parties debating reform should tell the truth and refrain from distorting facts or using fear-based messaging (Leviticus 19:11; Ephesians 4:14-15, 25; Proverbs 6:16-19).
- I believe that Christians should seek to bring health and well-being (shalom) to the society into which God has placed us, for a healthy society benefits all members (Jeremiah 29:7).
- I believe in a time when all will live long and healthy lives, from infancy to old age (Isaiah 65:20), and "mourning and crying and pain will be no more" (Revelation 21:4). My heart breaks for my brothers and sisters who watch their loved ones suffer, or who suffer themselves, because they cannot afford a trip to the doctor. I stand with them in their suffering.
- I believe health-care reform must rest on a foundation of values that affirm each and every life as a sacred gift from the Creator (Genesis 2:7).
Amen.
If you want to sign “A Christian Creed on Health-Care Reform” and have a copy sent to your members of Congress, click here. After you sign, you will be given a link to Sojourners’ free discussion guide about health-care reform, to help guide discussions in your congregation or small group.
--
Here's a list of the sometimes-participants in the Madhouse fun … worth a click to see what they have to say ...
Kate (who has some pretty big news on hers this week!)
JMLC
Baino
Heather
Be This Way
Alli
Aitara
Fraught
The Three Bucketeers
Heather
Destiny
Patty

1 comment:
But, it is the church's responsibility, the christian's, to help fellow brothers and sisters in christ. it is not the government's business to be taking on the healthcare of the whole country. by giving the government that power we are allowing them to control all aspects of healthcare. who gets treated, what gets treated, when it gets treated, and so on. i personally think the government has too much control as it is. "by the people and for the people" is LONG gone. i'll not have the government telling me that i must abort my child because there could possibly be something "wrong" with it or that in my old age i am worthless so i should be "allowed to die." seems far-fetched, but when you allow the government to take over something, that is the right they are reserving for themselves. in china the number of children you have is controlled. what will it be in america?
it is not my position as a tax payer to pay for those who do not work. the bible is very clear about if you don't work, you don't eat (or have healthcare). i have sucky insurance. i'd rather keep my sucky insurance than have the government telling me how to use it.
=)
Post a Comment