Thursday, August 5, 2010

Happy throwup?

Lately Maggie has been spending lots of time asking questions about when she was born ... how did she get out, what did I do, what did Daddy do, how my "magic medicine" was administered (ha ha!) ... that sort of thing. The questions seem to trickle out a little at a time; she'll ask a few questions one day, another question in the car three days later. And as background, she's learning that sometimes the same response can mean different things depending on the circumstances. So she understands that all tears shed that day were "happy tears" - not tears cried because we were upset or sad.

To supplement all of her birth day questions, I showed Maggie some pictures taken on October 18 & 19 - pictures of us hanging out in the hospital waiting, a picture of Daddy sacked out in my hospital bed, and pictures taken right after she was born. Until Maggie questioned the bedpan in one picture, I had forgotten that I got nauseous right after delivery and even threw up a few times.

Fast forward a few days ...
Out of the blue, Maggie asked, "Mommy, why did you throw up right after I was born?" Before I could reply, she answered her own question: "Oh, wait. It was a happy throw-up, wasn't it?"

(Yes, as a matter of fact, it was.)

To see a few pictures of the day Maggie was born, and to read her birth story, click here.

No comments: