Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ropes and pulleys and inventions, oh my!

One of Maggie's favorite TV shows right now is The Electric Company on PBS. (This is not the Electric Company we grew up with in the 70's!) One of the show's villians is Manny Spamboni, a big kid who is always inventing gadgets and gizmos that cause trouble. Maggie loves him, not because he's bad, but because he's always inventing new things - and right now, inventing is right up her alley. Yesterday while playing Harry Potter (she's always Hermione, and I'm always Harry), we needed to come up with something we could use to lower ourselves into a deep cave.

And what's a pretend wizard to do when she needs to lower herself into a deep cave but isn't sure how? Why she invents something to do the trick, of course!

Maggie "invented" a rope/pulley system. (I didn't have the heart to tell her that pulleys have been around for a while; I was content to marvel at her ingenuity.) She began by sketching out a diagram for it:


I'm the big one on the left. Next, she headed to the garage in search of string. And she came back with just that - string. Skinny, weak twine that would never have held a human. I told her we needed thicker rope - and that maybe this was a project better suited for Daddy, since I have no idea how to do ropes and pulleys. (Seriously. Stop laughing.)

As soon as Bobby got home, he rounded up a strong rope and a pulley...



... they tied one end around Maggie ...






... and Bobby hoisted her up.



George helped.







Then Maggie tried lifting herself up.







I love that she's so inventive. Today in the car, she decided that because riding in the car makes us sleepy, and it's not fair that the driver must stay awake, she should invent a car that drives itself. It works like this (all made up by Maggie): The addresses of all the people in the world would be programmed into its computer, and the "driver" would merely enter her destination. You then wave your hand over the emblem/logo in the center of the steering wheel - to prove you're the car's owner, of course - and the car takes you there. She even noted that all streets would have to be flat and straight to avoid accidents.

These days her imagination seems to be all over the place ... and I'll take that over flat and straight any day!

1 comment:

lyndsay said...

this entry just made my day. :)